Friday, February 4, 2011

The Rules for Marriage

So I came across this book while I was at the Library.
"The Rules of Marriage" Ellen Fein and Sherrie Schneider.
I'm not going to provide a link to it; it's not a GREAT book on Marriage.
There are better ones out there.

Anyway, so they have these 43 rules that are "supposed" to make your marriage work.
I'm anxious to know what constitutes people as "experts" of love and marriage.
I mean, do they just let anyone write books about marriage? Is there a test you have to take?

Some of the Rules I like:

#3 Keep up your looks
So many women let themselves go after marriage/kids. I always feel better after I put on mascara and do my hair.

#16 Don't use the D (divorce) Word
Don’t let it be an option.

#24 He can say anything about his family but you can't
I love this one.

Some rules I was unsure about:

#10 Accept that some things are none of your business
I’m not super big on secrets. Why can’t we share everything?

#31 Don't complain about the kids
The author says to complain to your mom friends, instead of to your husband. That is stupid.

#39 Don't think marriage counseling is the answer
Sometime it is, right? I'm a huge advocate for counseling. It’s good to have someone to talk to/listen.

#40 Realize that your marriage is over if he cheats even once
Once a cheater, always a cheater? That’s the big question. I realize that some men never change, but maybe some do. I'd like to think that some men are capable of change.

I've realized over the course of my research and reading, you just can't believe all of the marriage advice out there. What works for some people, doesn't work for others. I was also reading somewhere online that both of the authors are divorced. What the heck?

girl number one

No comments:

Post a Comment