Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Soul Mates

"A soulmate or soul mate is a person with whom one has a feeling of deep and natural affinity, love, intimacy, sexuality, spirituality, and/or compatibility. A related concept is that of the twin flame or twin soul – which is thought to be the ultimate soulmate, the one and only other half of one's soul, for which all souls are driven to find and join."

Who is your soul mate?

 I am lucky enough to have two soul mates. Some people don't have any.
My ultimate soul mate is my sister. She has known me the longest, loved me the hardest, fought for me to the death, and makes me laugh so hard I pee my pants. We talk on the phone 10 times a day. I feel like we are telepathic sometimes. We have twin souls that are in two bodies.
My other soul mate is my best friend, Samantha. I met her when I was thirteen years-old. We fight and disagree from politics to literature. She's seen me at my absolute worst, yet is always on my side. She understands me on a very deep level. We finish each others thoughts and sentences. She always know what I'm thinking.

My husband is not my soul mate. He does not understand why I cry during 'Teen Mom' on MTV. He doesn't understand why I read Harry Potter one week and then Jane Eyre the next. He hasn't seen me at my worst and he hasn't cleaned puke out of my hair. He is my partner. My roommate. My lover. He comforts me when I'm lonely. We've only known each other for three years. I've known my sister for 25 years and Samantha for over 10 years. He has lots of catching up to do.

I think it's okay to let your husband off the hook...It's okay to let a woman be your soul mate. I've come to terms with this. I don't believe a spouse has to be your ultimate soul mate. I believe it happens, but not as often as some would like. Your soul mate can be anyone who gets you and give you that feeling of peace and unity. I think a lot of times women expect this from their spouse...so they constantly are on the lookout for it and perhaps will leave their marriages trying to find it.

I have two women who are my soul mates to the end.
And one man who I will share a porch swing with when we're 90 years old. I can't wait.

girl number two

No comments:

Post a Comment