Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Back in the day, when I first got married, when life was rainbows and butterflies, I hated being away from my husband. He traveled 3 weeks out of the month, and while he was gone I would sit around and mope. And the worst part of it all? We only had one car and it was a stick. I couldn't drive it. I would practice and practice, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. So I would sit in my apartment. All Week. Waiting for my husband to come home.

Fast Forward. 3 Years.
My husband leaves tomorrow for the week, and I'm almost excited. Don't get me wrong, I miss him when he's gone. But it's nice to have the quiet nights to myself. I can watch whatever I want on TV and do crosswords puzzles without anyone bugging me. I can read without his constant asking "Why do you read? Do you like reading?"

The only time I get a little lonely is dinner time. I hate cooking for just me and the kids. But otherthanthat, this works for us. If he doesn't travel for awhile, both of us start to get a little kooky. Maybe it works for us, because this is the way it’s always been.

I do worry a little about him. I worry that he has a girlfriend in every city he travels to. I worry about his plane going down. I wonder if we would be just as happy if he stopped traveling; if we were together every day, every week, every month. But all of the worry aside, I’m looking forward to having some peace and quiet tomorrow night.

Girl Number One

No comments:

Post a Comment