Friday, January 7, 2011

Romance

Girl No.2

I'm not a romantic kind of girl. I don't like chick flicks. I don't like romantic novels. I don't believe in love at first sight. I'm a realist when it comes to love. My husband used to write me love letters when we were dating...I've kept them all. I'm training myself to accept the valentine/squishy/silly/chocolates kind of love.

Before my husband came along I dated losers. One guy I dated got me a season of Will&Grace I already owned. And I'm pretty sure he stole it, because there was no plastic around it. Thanks. Another guy I dated didn't buy gifts at any holiday/birthday because he believed it was a waste of money. Thanks. And of course the alcoholic I dated that for my birthday took me to the bar that he was known by name and spent most of his days. He got drunk and I drove myself home in his Ford Taurus. Thanks.

When my husband and I were dating he gave me an amazing Birthday present. We were at his apartment and he had bought me Sex and the City the movie. He made me Cosmopolitans that I drank while I watched it. And. to top it off. I'm not making this up. He gave me a foot rub during the movie. Ding ding ding. We have a winner. Thanks.

It was hard for me to accept a different kind of love. A real thoughtful kind of love. I was the stereo-typical loser dating girl. "I only like guys that treat me bad." God help her if my daughter ever has that mind set.  My husband is a nerd and watches football and owns every single Star Trek movie. But....he's keeper.

1 comment:

  1. awww. :) I was that girl too. and now i have a nerdy touchy feeling husband...6 years later, i'm still having to get used to it!

    ReplyDelete