Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sex and the tired mom

Durex Sexual Wellbeing Global Survey states that 44% are fully satisfied with their sex lives (2010). I just wonder who they interviewed. Certainly not mothers with preschoolers. There is no sex life to be satisfied with. Mothers don’t have sex. We breastfeed. We hold our two-year-old's puke at 3 a.m. We cut up 3 bananas, 3 peanut butter jelly sandwiches, 10 slices of cheese, 2 apples, and 5 carrot sticks every day. We clean toilets, potty train and give haircuts. We don’t have time for sex. We don’t have the energy. The other night my husband and I planned to have sex. But then he fell asleep at 7:30 with our two-year-old. So I caught up on some reading and some “Jersey Shore”. He woke me up at 4:30 a.m. and told me he loved me.  Code word for "I want to make love, do the deed, have relations". Whatever you call it. I do not make whoopie at 4:00 in the morning. The kids will be up any minute, your breath smells like dead fish, and I’m having a really nice dream about this really cute guy from the gym. Back off. We’ll try again tomorrow night.

Dr. Mehmet Oz, Oprah Winfrey's favorite physician (and because Oprah said it, we believe it), said that we should be having sex 200 times a year. That’s 3-4 times a week. That can be done. If you’re not with 3 little ones who demand your attention 20 hours/day. I’m wondering what the realistic expectation for sex is. Should we be having it everyday? I know for some men, if they’re not getting it from their wife, they will start looking elsewhere. Maybe I’ll start drinking coffee at night, and that will keep me awake for the festivities. And then I’ll be really tired in the morning, or perhaps, I’ll feel satisfied.
Girl no. one

No comments:

Post a Comment